Monday, April 11, 2011

A Look into My new Life

So I suppose I owe some of you an explanation. You're seeing things here and on facebook but haven't really been told what I did. So...here goes... On Monday April 4th I had gastric bypass surgery. Specifically I had the Roux-En-Y (RNY) procedure. Click here for a before and after of what the stomach would look like. I have struggled with my weight for YEARS (like since I was in 3rd grade) and never have I been able to get off enough weight to NOT be considered overweight or obese. I chose to NOT talk to many people about this surgery because it is absolutely astounding how many people feel it necessary to describe their father's sister-in-law's horrendous complications or even make comments to me about how I should just exercise and eat healthier. If I could exercise and eat healthier, don't you think I would weigh less than 252 pounds?! Good grief.

Many think I have chosen the "easy way" to lose weight. If you've never taken the journey with a person who has had weight loss surgery then please don't say this. I had pulmonary testing, EKGs, barium swallows, x-rays, blood work, and hours of classroom education before this surgery to prepare my mind and body for what was to come. I chose to allow my surgeon to operate on me in a very high risk scenario in order to save my life. I only spent 48 hours in the hospital. Those 48 hours were spent getting up every 2 hours around the clock to walk and prevent blood clots. Every hour I was breathing into a machine to verify that I wasn't leaking stomach contents into my abdomen or that I hadn't gotten pneumonia. I wear a tight fitting binder around my abdomen to keep the six incisions from straining and getting infected. I shouldn't pick up my kids for the next for weeks. I give myself shots to thin my blood and prevent blood clots. I eat with a baby spoon and drink from a sippy cup. My stomach now holds 2 ounces (60ml). I have to eat 2 ounces of food over 30 minutes to prevent nausea and vomiting. I drink protein shakes all day every day. I will lose my hair. I take 7 different medicines throughout the day to prevent ulcers and vitamin deficiencies. I am NOT complaining. I have been given a second chance at life. I am actually finding that I enjoy some things (oatmeal) way more than I thought possible. But it's not easy. I still make dinner for my family every night. I still order pizza for them when I don't want to cook. My husband still brings home my favorite breakfast. THEIR lives haven't changed (much). I can't imagine any one thinking that I took the easy way out. I am so excited for the months to come and to see how my life will continue to change.

I'm asking for support, not stories of failure or negative opinions.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I SUPPORT YOU SEPHANIE!!!! GOODLUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY AND I AM EXCITED FOR THE MANY MONTHS TO COME! STAY STRONG AND BE HAPPY! DONT LET OTHERS KEEP YOU DOWN!!

Danielle Maher