Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Molly's Birth Story

OK, so I know this is a little late in posting but it seems as though I have some time on my hands right now! So, I am going to catch up on some blogging.
On Sunday, August 23 I went to work as scheduled. I was tired and wore out and waddling like no other! I had a craving for buffalo hot wings so we put in an order and the day went on fairly normally. Went home to my son and went on about our evening. Got to bed around 10 that night and woke up around 1am for an unknown reason. After lying in bed for a while I realized my back was sore. This wasn't really anything new to me, after all I was 38 weeks pregnant and could hardly change positions in my sleep to begin with! After about an hour, Seth woke up so I got him, brought him back to my bed and snuggled with him.

Somewhere around 3am I realized that every time I finally started to doze off SOMETHING was waking me back up. So I sat for a few minutes only to start feeling the muscle spasms in my back. They were consistent and coming frequently so I got up and started down the stairs to time the beasties. They were coming every 2 to 4 minutes! GREAT! It's 3:30am and I am in active labor. So I start my phone calls: my mom, MIL and my MD. We made it to the hospital around five after 5 and were immediately taken back to triage. I had to have an ultrasound there because we still weren't convinced that Molly was head down. She was and I was checked and at 6cm already. I was begging for pain medicine and they rushed me out of that room to labor and delivery.

By 6:30am I finally had my epidural. Thank you anesthesiologist! I was checked a second time and had progressed to 9cm. The nurse started running around to prepare things (no one really had time to get anything together, it was just going so fast!) and my physician came in to check things out. He had to get a change of clothes so he left again and I started to get VERY uncomfortable. Little did I know that was the whole "I NEED TO PUSH!!" feeling. Had I realized that and pushed...it wouldn't have been good. My doctor came back by 7:50 and broke my water. There was meconium. So again the NICU team was called in for my delivery. I pushed once and looked down to see Molly's head crowning, I pushed again and Molly was completely out! She came SO FAST! She was given to the NICU team and was given beautiful stats. I, on the other hand, needed some work. After 45 minutes of repair work (when babies come that fast, your body just isn't ready!), I was finally able to sit up and hold my new bundle! She was amazing to look at! I just can't wait to do it all again!!






No comments: